Discover Westbourne’s foodie heaven this June
- Credit: Archant
Reward your taste buds with a tour of this delightful Bournemouth urban village which takes its food and drink very seriously, says Kate Shaw
Throughout June Westbourne Village will host a dedicated food and drink month showcasing the diverse selection available in this much loved destination for foodies.
The thriving urban village, just a mile to the west of Bournemouth, has become increasingly popular for eating out, attracting an ever growing number of restaurants, bars, off-licences, cafés and food stores over the last year or so. It is now home to some 50 different venues where visitors can dine, snack or drink.
In summer there is a distinct continental feel to Westbourne with alfresco seating enticing shoppers to stop, relax and catch up with friends over a glass of wine, a cool beer or a flat white. Or simply sit and enjoy the buzz of this delightful area as you tuck into some top nosh.
Renoufs is an award-winning Cheese and Wine Restaurant which, since arriving in Westbourne a year ago, has been offering delicious, mouth-watering charcuterie boards and chutneys, mezze boards and giant party sharing boards. The brainchild of husband and wife team, Trevor and Sarah, Renoufs has gained an outstanding reputation as providing some of the finest local and international wines and cheeses. Evening bookings are essential for this popular bar at 48 Poole Road and it is recognised as one of the best places to hang out by locals.
Seeking some great fruit and veg? Then pop in to Parachute, a friendly family-run greengrocer (at 112 Poole Road). The tempting outdoor displays of fresh fruit and vegetables feature a stunning medley of vibrant colours, while inside you will find imported food such as Romanian meats, organic sauces and beans as well as freshly baked Turkish bread and sweet pastry baklava – perfect to serve with coffee.
Situated in a stunning converted Victorian church on Poole Road, Plates & Co is a Michelin Guide listed restaurant where you can dine against a backdrop of beautiful stained glass windows. Nick Atkins took over the business in late 2015 and is also the resident chef. Nick prides himself on using fresh, locally sourced produce and offers an exciting seasonally-inspired menu which also features some very interesting vegetarian and vegan options.
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 Win £500 of English wine from Lyme Bay Winery
- 3 Win a luxury break at The Draycott Hotel in Chelsea
- 4 9 lovely beaches in Cornwall that allow dogs all-year-round
- 5 For sale: Yorkshire's dreamiest coastal view
- 6 Win £500 of Gallox fashionwear
- 7 Win a luxury ladies watch worth £199
- 8 Where to go wild swimming in the Cotswolds
- 9 Win a picnic hamper from Booths
- 10 One Suffolk beach given Blue Flag status for 2021
Looking to be inspired with your drinks? Supersave Wines off-licence at 99 Poole Road boasts an impressive range of more than 500 craft beers from the UK and around the world as well as a fabulous selection of gins, wines and spirits.
And if you are looking for a cocktail with the girls, a beer after work or catching up with friends or family over a glass of wine or Sunday lunch there are plenty of bars and pubs which will offer you a warm welcome in Westbourne.
This is only a taster of what’s on offer. But if you want to discover this foodie heaven by the sea for yourselves, you’ll need to take your taste buds to Westbourne this June. You won’t be disappointed!
Find out more at discoverwestbourne.co.uk
• Dorset Magazine Food, Drink & Farming Awards 2016 - nominate your favourites - This is your chance to vote and support Dorset’s finest food and drink businesses. Following the overwhelming success of last year’s awards, we are delighted to launch the 2016 Dorset Magazine Food, Drink and Farming Awards.