4 of the best places for open water swimming in Hampshire
- Credit: Archant
With the freedom of open water appealing to thousands of wild swimmers across the country, we round up some of the best locations for it in Hampshire
Compton Lock, Twyford, SO21 1NS
Compton Lock is a stunning spot on the River Itchen, about three miles south of Winchester. It became so popular that the Parish Council showed their support by building wooden steps to help swimmers get in and out.
Andark Lake, SO31 7EG
The lake offers confined open water conditions with onsite facilities including changing rooms with showers, free WiFi, a café and shop.
- 1 Win a diamond ring worth £1,000
- 2 Win a watercolour painting of Gosfield by artist James Merriott
- 3 Recipe: Make our peanut caramel poke cake
- 4 Afternoon tea deliveries in the Cotswolds
- 5 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 6 Photography focus: 5 stunning Yorkshire Dales landscapes
- 7 From The Dig to Harry Potter - 5 films shot in Suffolk
- 8 Recipe: Gin and Saffron Cake
- 9 6 great woodland walks in the Peak District
- 10 5 of the most romantic walks in Yorkshire
Eastleigh Lakeside, SO50 5PD
This spot takes the wild out of wild swimming but provides a supervised 350m circuit to help newcomers get a secure taste of the pastime.
Calshot Beach, SO45 1BP
Calshot is a one-mile long shingle bank located on the southern end of Southampton Water. On Sundays swimmers usually meet at Stanswood Rescue hut.
- Meeting the wild swimmers of Hampshire - Malcolm Bradbrook finds out why Hampshire wild swimming enthusiasts are taking the plunge