4 of the best places for open water swimming in Hampshire
- Credit: Archant
With the freedom of open water appealing to thousands of wild swimmers across the country, we round up some of the best locations for it in Hampshire
Twyford, SO21 1NS
Compton Lock is a stunning spot on the River Itchen, about three miles south of Winchester. It became so popular that the Parish Council showed their support by building wooden steps to help swimmers get in and out.
Oslands Ln, Southampton SO31 7EG
The lake offers confined open water conditions with onsite facilities including changing rooms with showers, free WiFi, a café and a shop.
- 1 Win a fabulous free-range Morton's Norfolk turkey for Christmas!
- 2 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 3 8 charming market towns you need to visit in Somerset
- 4 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 5 The best walks in Dorset to see the autumn leaves
- 6 10 spooky Halloween events in Sussex
- 7 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 8 You can stay at this adorable Winnie the Pooh 'Bearbnb' in Sussex
- 9 20 of the best restaurants in Essex
- 10 11 of the prettiest villages in North Devon
Wide Ln, Eastleigh SO50 5PD
This spot takes the wild out of wild swimming but provides a supervised 350m circuit to help newcomers get a secure taste of the pastime.
Calshot Cl, Calshot, Southampton SO45 1BP
Calshot is a one-mile-long shingle bank located on the southern end of Southampton Water. On Sundays swimmers usually meet at Stanswood Rescue hut.
- Meeting the wild swimmers of Hampshire - Malcolm Bradbrook finds out why Hampshire wild swimming enthusiasts are taking the plunge