Artist of the month - Ken Roberts, Lytham
- Credit: Archant
Self-taught Ken Roberts specialising in scenes of the Fylde such as this study of Lytham. Barbara Waite reports
A sunny day and a moment of quiet reflection in Lytham Memorial Gardens is captured by self-taught oil painter Ken Roberts.
This serene scene displays Ken’s precise and detailed style which has brought him success and many one-man exhibitions in the area. His talent was recognised nationally when he had a painting selected from more than 1,000 submitted works to hang in London’s Mall Galleries alongside some of Britain’s leading artists.
‘Living in Lytham, I have always admired the Memorial Gardens and the clock tower of the market hall in the centre of town,’ said Ken. ‘I have always considered it a challenging subject and when I came across this view on a sunlit summer’s afternoon I wanted to capture and record the light and shade of the architecture.’
He was born in Preston and spent his working life in the wall coverings industry, but on retirement had the chance to concentrate on painting full time making his own home decorations.
He took a little formal training in oils at St Annes College and never looked back. He now paints scenes in and around the Fylde coast and views from Majorca which he and his wife visit regularly, capturing the mood, light or atmosphere of any given place.
Ken is still an active member of the Lytham St Annes Arts Society – he is a former president and still sits on the committee - and will be submitting a painting of Majorca in its Spring Exhibition which runs from May 2-19 in the Fylde Gallery in Booths supermarket.
- 1 WIN a holiday to the Isles of Scilly worth £1000
- 2 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 3 Win a 2 night beach stay at The Beachcroft Hotel in Sussex
- 4 23 cottages that will make you want to move to Surrey
- 5 WIN £500 worth of preloved designer clothes
- 6 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 7 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 8 8 charming market towns you need to visit in Somerset
- 9 11 pretty riverside pubs in Hertfordshire
- 10 9 lovely beaches in Cornwall that allow dogs all-year-round
For more information on his work contact Ken direct on 01253 737887 or Arteology in Albert Road, Colne 01282 861011.