The Shoulder of Mutton
- Credit: Archant
Real ale and really good food take centre stage at the family-run Shoulder of Mutton in Kirkby.
Overblow, where everything is home cooked, local and delicious - from the chutneys and chips to the roasts and roulades.
The 16th century inn’s unique Gluten Free Menu is a real talking point, offering bespoke choices for coeliac sufferers that are free from wheat, barley and rye, including steaks and salads and even a luxury bread and butter pudding.
Early diners are in for a treat too with the Early Bird Menu, which serves up two tasty courses for only £12.50 per person, or £15.50 for three. Try it out Tuesdays to Saturdays 6-7pm, and Sundays 4-6pm.
- 1 4 fab places to dine in Devon
- 2 Devon coast to star in new Ainsley Harriott series on Channel 4
- 3 Waterfalls, Weirs and Cascades of the Peak District
- 4 Win a champagne and jewellery shopping day in Harrogate worth £500
- 5 Win a Stay at The Merchant's Yard, Tideswell in the Peak District
- 6 10 wonderful walks around the Cotswolds
- 7 Win a short break at Wrea Head Hall on the edge of the North York Moors
- 8 Top celebrity craft makers head for Devon festival
- 9 5 of the best farmers markets in Cheshire
- 10 Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday Celebrations in Hertfordshire
Wednesday is Steak Night with a choice of succulent 8oz rump steak (with mixed salad, onion rings and chips), or a Wensleydale 10oz gammon steak (with grilled tomato, mushroom, chips and two fried village eggs) - for just £28 for 2, including a bottle of house wine.
And, as well as its signature Sunday Roasts - Shoulder of Lamb (of course!), roast loin pork and sirloin of beef with all the trimmings - to tease your taste buds, there are also brainteasers in the Sunday Night Quiz from 9pm.
Dine alfresco in the lovely, leafy garden when the weather’s warm, stay snug by one of the open fires or visit The Shoulder Shop in the courtyard, which offers meat, chutney, gluten-free pies and much more, so you can take a little slice of the Shoulder home with you.
Described as a ‘great little local’ and a ‘hub of the community’ by Alistair Sawday’s Pubs & Inns of England & Wales - and winners of the ‘Best Community Pub Award’ - the Shoulder of Mutton is a blueprint that every village pub should aspire too: cosy, classy and charming.
The Shoulder of Mutton, Main Street, Kirkby Overblow, Harrogate, HG3 1HD, 01423 871205, www.shoulderofmuttonharrogate.co.uk Food served: Tues-Sat noon-2pm; dinner 6-9pm; and Sun noon - 7pm.