How Sensory Elite HealthCare would support your child in school
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Does your child, have a diagnosis or has recently been diagnosed with a learning disability?
Does your child, have a diagnosis or has recently been diagnosed with a learning disability? Do you worry about how he or she will cope with school? It’s only natural to want the best for your child but academic success, while important, isn’t the end goal. What you really want for your child is a happy and fulfilling life. With encouragement and the right support, your child can build a strong sense of self-confidence and a solid foundation of lifelong success.
In this endless age of budget cuts and inadequate funding, your role in your child’s education is more important than ever. Don’t sit back and let someone else be responsible for providing your child with the tools they need to learn. You can and should take an active role in your child’s education.
At Sensory Elite HealthCare we offer Support Workers that can work with your child before, during and after school on a one-to-one basis. As a parent you decide how and where you want this support to be utilized. The Support Worker will support your child’s learning and development. The class teacher will always have overall responsibility and the Support Worker will ensure your child is able to access the work, has the correct resources, understands tasks and is listening. If your child is having specialist input from a Speech and Language Therapist, Physiotherapist Occupational Therapist etc, the support worker will deliver and follow through any exercises and activities which have been set.
The Support Worker will ensure:
• Your child is coping with the classroom.
• Your child is doing their work and concentrating and that they have understood everything that has been said and set.
- 1 The incredible Cornish stone structures with an exceptional history
- 2 Scotney Castle makes an appearance in Netflix's The Sandman
- 3 8 Places in Devon to celebrate Afternoon Tea Week
- 4 Win a luxury 2-night Lake District getaway to the Skiddaw Hotel worth £500
- 5 5 wild swimming spots in Cheshire
- 6 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 7 See inside this luxurious home near Ormskirk on the market for £1.3 million
- 8 The 5 best spots for wild swimming in Somerset
- 9 Win the Cobra MX3440V Cordless Lawnmower
- 10 11 pretty riverside pubs in Hertfordshire
• If your child requires visual aids with them they will go through a visual timetable each day so they know what to expect.
• The Support Worker is there to calm them down if something upsets them and to deal with any situations that may arise due to their disability.
• The Support Worker is the one who encourages them to do their work, and removes them from stressful situations.
• The Support Worker will speak to you as the parent on a daily basis about your child’s day at school and will support with filling in your child’s home school diary.
• The Support Worker with your child’s relationships by encouraging interaction between other pupils and encourage independent interaction.
At Sensory Elite HealthCare we have an Occupational Therapist. Our Occupational Therapy services address performance within an educational context, including classroom lessons and activities, self-help, prevocational and vocational activities, play and leisure, and social skills. Outcomes are directed toward improved participation in the educational curriculum, access to the school environment, and participation in extra-curricular activities. Occupational Therapy services may be indicated when a child has challenges or a special need in one or more of the following areas that impact his/her ability to function, participate, and be successful in the educational setting;
• Fine-motor development
• Visual-motor development
• Neurological Functioning
• Sensory processing
• Self-help skills
• Adaptive equipment/Assistive Technology
Our Occupational Therapist will work with both the child, Support Worker and the educational staff, including other related services personnel to facilitate the acquisition of functional school skills. Our goal is to have all members of the educational team work toward the same goal(s) and to remove the child from the classroom setting as little as possible. In addition, we make sure the various activities performed are done in a safe manner, both for the child and for the staff members.
At Sensory Elite HealthCare we offer a Sensory Room which can be utilised at any time to help your child relax and is designed to develop your child’s sense, through special lightening, music and smell.