Best things about moving to Weymouth
- Credit: Archant
Enhanced both in terms of its infrastructure and property since hosting the 2012 Olympic sailing, Weymouth is an affordable option for those seeking a coastal location
Weymouth and Portland property invariably boasts sea views. The town’s Georgian seafront and historic esplanade is lined with elegantly proportioned hotels and guesthouses which gives a defining architectural tone to the area. In the heart of Weymouth the harbour side terraced cottages are ideally located for the summer sailing season.
Beyond the busier centre, Wyke Regis, Bowleaze and Greenhill are popular and more spacious residential areas. Character properties like the wonderful Victorian villas you find here rarely come to market, so be prepared to search more broadly. Terraced houses made up the lion’s share of property sales last year.
New apartment developments such as Olympic Heights offer a modern easy lifestyle for those heading to the south coast of Dorset. The post-Olympics legacy of a greatly enhanced road system means it is easier to reach the surrounding areas of Weymouth, and this in turn has stimulated property searches beyond the town itself.
Weymouth is home to the luxury yacht builders Sunseeker a major local employer, while a new £30m leisure and tourism development called Castle Court aims to provide up to 1,400 jobs by 2016. It is quite common for people from London and the Home Counties to move to Weymouth in search of a better quality of life, who can blame them! After all London is just two and a half hours by train on a direct line from Weymouth to London Waterloo.
Although local prices have not risen significantly over and above the previous year, there is no doubt that waterfront property, homes with sea views and the allure of Dorset’s Jurassic Coast will continue to attract buyers seeking calm natural beauty and urban escapism.
- 1 Where and when to watch The Queen's Jubilee Flypast
- 2 10 Cotswolds events celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 3 7 of the best places to see Jubilee beacons in Yorkshire
- 4 10 Derbyshire events celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 5 Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday Celebrations in Hertfordshire
- 6 10 Yorkshire events celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 7 Win a bumper prize of Devon’s best food and drink
- 8 What's on in Norfolk June 2022
- 9 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 10 Review: Chicago the Musical at Manchester Opera House
Weymouth Property Market Insights
What’s sold in Weymouth over the last six months?
• For £170,000 – A new build two bedroom apartment
• For £230,000 – A period one bed apartment with sea views
• For £340,000 - A four bedroom terraced harbour-front house in Trinity Road
• For £625,000 – A four bedroom detached period house in Laurel Lane
Data from Land Registry