CORNISH ARTISTS: ANNE DAVIES
In this new body of work Anne Davies explores the rhythms and shapes of St Ives, the harbour and the surrounding countryside.
In this new body of work, inspired by a series of drawings she made in St Ives last year, Anne Davies explores the rhythms and shapes of the town, the harbour and the surrounding countryside.
St Ives is a very special place to me; I have memories of visiting as a child and later as an adult, with my own family. Of course the light is special too, unlike anywhere else, and everywhere one looks in the town and the surrounding landscape there are forms, patterns and colour harmonies that inspire,’ she explains.
Davies works using acrylic paint, stripping away and drawing into the wet paint, as she works quickly on the selected part of the composition. She continues building layers and editing until the image feels complete.
Each piece has it’s own narrative, a story of walking through the landscape, recalling the light and movement of the place, the sea which encompasses the town.’
Where and when to see it:
4 July - 5 September Porthminster Gallery, Westcott’s Quay, St Ives TR26 2DY
- 1 Win the full range of Bashall Spirits Gins
- 2 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 3 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 4 Win a G&H Spirits gin set with Sussex Life
- 5 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 6 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire
- 7 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 8 Afternoon tea in Kent: 15 of the best tearooms
- 9 Win a three nights stay at Nydsley Hall in Pateley Bridge
- 10 11 of the prettiest villages in North Devon