CORNWALL ARTISTS: THE BIGGER PICTURE
The Bigger Picture exhibition at Penzance's Penlee Gallery looks at our favourites among the artists' who painted Cornwall
Cornwall is incredibly well-known for its art movements, but sometimes even we forget that the list of artists who lived, loved and worked here reads like a who’s who of mid-20th century British artists. The Bigger Picture exhibition is like a selection box of all your favourites, with none to leave languishing at the bottom of the box.
Stretching from 1920s to the 1960s , the wealth of artists also reveal how differently many tackled the county. The Bigger Picturereveals the rich diversity of artistic styles that this region has inspired. Hanging alongside the better-known names of Terry Frost, Patrick Heron, Ben Nicholson, Wilhelmina Barns-Graham, Alfred Wallis and John Wells is a plethora of remarkable and innovative work by artists from the same period.
A selection of the work on show has been borrowed from the Arts Council England Collection. Other loans include pictures collected in the early 1960s for the Cornwall Council Schools Collection, now housed at the Royal Cornwall Museum in Truro, as well as hidden gems in private collections around Cornwall.
12 September to 21 November
Penlee House Gallery and Museum, Morrab Road, Penzance TR18 4HE
- 1 Win a luxury Christmas hamper worth £250 from Bakers & Larners of Holt
- 2 Christmas markets in and around the Cotswolds
- 3 Win a theatre break in Manchester to see The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
- 4 Christmas in Hertfordshire 2021: Top festive markets
- 5 Magical Christmas markets in Surrey 2021
- 6 WIN a stunning Jo Downs art piece worth £520
- 7 Win a £5000 staycation in Cornwall
- 8 Everything you need to know about Sarah Beeny's move to Somerset
- 9 Magical Christmas markets in Sussex 2021
- 10 5 of the best Somerset farm shops for Christmas shopping